November 21, 2020
Photo by: Binsan Oommen Baby | @binsanoommen
The Muhammadan Public Library was established in 1850 and was set up by Edward Balfour, a pioneering environmentalist and one of the Company's agents to the Nawab of Carnatic's Court. He met with prominent members of the Muslim community in the city and encouraged them to have a library for the community. Ghulam Ghouse Khan, the last Nawab of Carnatic made a one-time contribution to the library and its current president is the Prince of Arcot. The library received books as gifts from the King of Egypt, Governor of Madras, and the Council of Education, Calcutta.
Research Source: The Hindu, Madras Musings
Location: The Muhammadan Library