November 19, 2020
Photo by: Binsan Oommen Baby | @binsanoommen
In 1769, faced with threats from the French and Hyder Ali, the British decided to build a wall that would protect the city. Running along present-day Ibrahim Sahib Street, the wall was completed in 1772 but parts of it were eventually pulled down by the early 1800s, as the British were in complete control of the city. The remaining parts of the wall were brought to the ground in the 1950s. The only section of the wall that was spared came to house a park, Chennai's very own Hanging Gardens or Maadi Poonga.
Research Source: Madras Miscellany
Location: Maadi Poonga